Arts-minded people gathered to discuss different ways to increase the presence of arts and culture in the Langleys, (the City of Langley and the Township of Langley). The Langley Arts Society was incorporated in 1968, later changed to become the Langley Arts Council. It attained Charitable Status in 1996 which gave the Arts Council more opportunity for continued growth.
As a community-based arts organization, we understand that artistic expression is essential for the overall health and well-being of the community; therefore,The Langley Arts Council provides the resources and support that allow art to thrive. Our organization is continually developing new and innovative programs in a variety of artistic disciplines. This includes: visual art, 3-D art, and performing art. In addition, to provide learning opportunities and encourage all art forms, the Langley Arts Council hosts a number of events and workshops throughout the year.
The Langley Arts Council’s purposes are as follows:
- Encourage the practice of all art forms, both existing and developing, in our community.
- Sustain the cultural contributions and heritages of the many peoples who call our region home.
- Develop an organization that supports the wide variety of artist-run groups, collectives, and businesses operating within Langley.
- Provide as a resource for individuals seeking information about artists and art forms.
- Encourage artist development and growth and provide resources to ensure all artists are able to excel in their craft.