Apply to Join the Langley Arts Council's Board of Directors
The Langley Arts Council is currently looking to fill a few positions on the Board of Directors.
Deadline: September 12th,2021
The Langley Arts Council will contact successful applicants by September 30th, 2021.
As a community-based arts organization, we understand that creative expression and experiences of the arts are essential to the overall health and wellbeing of a community. The LAC's goal is to provide the resources and support to allow art and culture to grow and thrive. Our organization is continually developing new and innovative programs in a variety of artistic disciplines, to encourage all art forms.
We are currently looking to fill a limited number of vacancies on the Board of Directors with dedicated and enthusiastic area-based members with the following skill sets: fundraising, accounting/financial management, strategic planning, governance, advocacy, community development and Indigenous cultural competency. Please note we are willing to accept Board Members who are not local if they are willing to travel for a majority of the monthly board meetings.
The role of Board Members is to provide stewardship, governance and direction for the organization’s activities. Directors are not responsible for the day-to-day operations or artistic direction of the organization; however, Directors may be asked to support LAC’s leadership and contractors with various tasks and activities in their realm of expertise.
The Langley Arts Council is committed to supporting and providing leadership positions to people who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized in art spaces. We encourage people from these communities to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES:• attend Board meetings, which will be held on the second Tuesday at 7:00 PM each month.
• attend the Annual General Meeting.
• help to shape the organization’s policy and procedures.
• serve as a liaison to one of the staff members, when asked to bring materials to the Board of Directors.
• volunteer at and/or attend Board fundraising events or initiatives.
• attend and support other events held by the organization, including sharing promotional materials on social media.
• maintain a good understanding of the LAC's constitution, mandate, vision and values and adhere to the Code of Board Conduct.
• represent and advocate for the organization in the community and at meetings with potential partners and stakeholders.
LAC Board Members are expected to commit 2 - 5 hours a month depending on committee work and attendance at events.
Board Members are expected to serve at least a one or two-year term.
• have a passion for arts and culture.
• have knowledge in at least one of these fields: fundraising, cultural granting programs and streams, accounting/financial management, capacity building, strategic planning, governance, advocacy, community development or Indigenous cultural competency.
• have previous experience volunteering or working with local arts and culture organizations.
• demonstrate commitment, leadership, decision-making skills and integrity, as well, as adhere to the values of the organization.
• be community-minded and possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.